Sunday, April 11, 2010

New tops for Spring



Well I have been busy with my new job but still finding a little time to work in the studio. I have made two new tops from an old pattern I re-fit. It is from almost 15 years ago when I was working in San Francisco. As I was cleaning out a few boxes of old clothes I found a great black with white polka dot top I made from the pattern when my daughter was born. This little black top looks great( I think) with my cuff jeans and Keen Mary Jane’s. It was just a little tight in the sleeve hem…easy fix with a small gusset. It was such a great piece of fabric it still holds up today. I realized with this project of “sewing my way through the studio” is that I still like the look of some of my old patterns, I just need to update the fit. I need to be fashionable for work but still comfortable. So I dug out some old rayon yardage I had from 8 years ago. The pieces again both hold up to the today’s fashions and my desire to look like an artist without looking like a short fat middle aged woman trying to look hip!. One in a taupe brown with black writing. Words like Create, Inspire, Play, Learn…..I still really liked it so I put together a top with black velvet piping around the neck and black velvet covered buttons. All stuff from my stash. I also added a small gusset in the under arm and that fixed the tight sleeve…Well I am loving it. So I made another one. This one in a purplish/blue batik. I had two fabric pieces that match in colorway. I put a collar on this one…I decided I like the collar better than collar- less version. I found some vintage buttons in my stash that go pretty well. I just bought thread so the topstitching looked good. I love the cool feeling of the soft rayon and the comfortable fit. I think I will call the pattern “Lovin’ it top”. I kind of like the look of a doll, with the mary jane straps, short cuff pants and big gathered top. Just need a flower in my hair! I think I can pull it off. My look is the same but more creative then 30 years ago. I think it can still work for me.
Next I am going to make some Linen Stripe pants and tops to match. I need to work on my vest patterns to dress up some of my outfits. Belted at the waist, palazzo pants out of rayon or linen….stay tuned.

No comments: